What a whirlwind…
I had a feeling that July was going to be crazy and boy did it live up to the expectation. What did I have going on? Everything!
1. All in the family! July has always been reunion month and this month did not disappoint. Over the same 10 days, I had family in town from all over the world. Oof. It was a lot of driving due to the fact that I live close to NO ONE, but it was a wonderful time nonetheless.
2. Do the Hustle! I did not get a lot of sleep in July, especially on weekends. I’ve been nurturing my hustle game, but unfortunately for my sleep schedule, this involved getting up at 3am three Saturdays in July. I am so happy that other people will pay me to do what I am most passionate about, but I wish it was more sleep friendly!
3. Shine like the top of the Chrysler Building! Work surprised me with a quick trip to NYC at the end of July. I had never been to NYC before and it lived up to the hype. I spent all my time in Midtown Manhattan and my brain is still struggling to grasp how big that city actually is. I only had time to explore a tiny fraction of Manhattan and was amazed by how many iconic things I saw. I’ll see you again New York.
July 2014: I owed $29,167 on my student loans. I decided to stop saving to buy my car and dumped all my extra money on my debt.
July 2013: I took the Bar Exam and survived!
July 2015: The 3 Paycheck Life
July was a better than average month. I was able to save a lot in July, but that was mostly because I got 3 paychecks this month. Yea, money! Unfortunately for the numbers, I/we didn’t knock it out of the park this month because Hubs decided not to save any money. He normally contributes to the House Fund, but we had an expensive July.
July was expensive in a normal way, like his car tabs expired and we paid 6 months of car insurance. A lot of the spending was planned and saved for, but we decided not to use any of the saved money. Hubs also had a 3 paycheck month, so he cash flowed the expenses and kept our buffer. We’ll keep the buffer for a month when extra expenses don’t line up as beautifully with extra paychecks.
On to the numbers…
Retirement: $19,460 (+1,764) Three paychecks in July means 3 contributions for both my 401k and Roth IRA. Three contributions and a market increase for the month means it was a big month! My increase this month was more than $1000 than last month!!
Taxable: $8,485 I’m back to playing the waiting game with this account. There won’t be any official updates until December. I’m hoping December brings a big fat dividend that will bring this account up for the year. But I’ll have to wait until then to find out.
Auto Value: $13,000 (-95) After the $650 adjustment last month, I’m really not too jazzed about tracking the value of my car. All of the other numbers I track are finite. They are dollars in an account. The value of my car is an estimate. When I do go to sell it, the amount I get will depend on so many factors beyond how I or KBB value the car. To counteract my feelings of meh, I’ve decided to take a more aggressive depreciation schedule.
House Fund: $8,244 (+2,355) With three paychecks comes great House Fund progress. Interestingly, this was only $14 more than last month. I guess that’s what happens when Hubs doesn’t contribute. Can I post $10,000 next month? I hope, I hope, I hope!
Round Two Progress: (What is Round Two? check here!)
- Baby Saver: $2125 ✔
- Middle Saver: $7953 (Loan value: $5828) ✔
- Thing 1: $16,453 (Loan value: $8500) >in progress<
- Yee! $8244 down, $8209 to go!
- Things 2: $24,953 (Loan value: $8500)
- Big Momma: $45,330 (Loan value: $20,377)
HSA: $4,848 (+425) A bigger than expected month! I got my bill for my doctor’s visit but haven’t paid it yet. That’s expected to wipe out any gains next month. I’m happy to see it up for the month!
Car Fund: $451 (+75) Yay Car Fund!
Student Loan: $0! I’m keeping this here until it feels silly to list it. It still feels awesome, so here it is! I don’t owe FedLoan Servicing anything 🙂
Car Loan: $10,596 (-374) Minimum payment as promised. It’ll be pretty cool to have this in the 4 digits, and it’s getting closer. It’ll be a birthday present to me.
- Net worth: $43,892. Up $4,898 from last month.
Excellent Progress this month! Two things: 1) I flew past $40,000! I’m almost to $45,000!! 2) Holy crap! Almost a $5000 increase this month! That’s huge!
July lived up to the hype and I made some major strides with my net worth!
- Net worth increase: $140/day
- I’m back into $140+/day, but barely!
How was your July? Tell me, tell me!