If you haven’t noticed, it’s September. September happens to be the best month in the whole year. Why? Because September is my birthday month! I love my birthday.
Before you get all weird on me about how much I love my birthday, I want you to know that I’m not the type of person who makes a big deal of their birthday. I don’t celebrate it or do anything fancy. What I love is the excitement leading up to my birthday. It comes with the change of the season: the turn of a new school year, pumpkins, apples, LEAVES and an excuse to see my favorite people. It also makes me happy that every year, my dear mother calls me on my due date and tells me that I wasn’t born that day. I waited a whole week to be born. #sorrymomma
As August came to a close, I started thinking about what I want for my birthday. After a lot of thinking, Here are my wants and plans for my birthday.
New Eye Makeup Remover
I start with the most important things 😉 My sister asked what I wanted for my birthday and my first answer was a new potato peeler. After 3 weeks of thinking about it, I told her I changed my mind. My current potato peeler works just fine. It’s not the best for sweet potatoes, but it can take care of carrots like a champ. Sweet potatoes are better handled with a knife anyway. What I do want is new eye makeup remover. I’m nearly out and these peepers don’t have the power to clean themselves!
>Poll: What do you use? I’ve been using the Target Up & Up brand, though I’m open to suggestions of something more gentle or natural.
For Hubs’ birthday last month, we toured a local brewery. We had a blast. #FREEBEER Afterward, we talked about how we wanted to tour more things in our area. This week, I randomly found that my local recycling center does tours. The Recycle Zone. Ooooooo. How exciting! I’m in the middle of reading “Zero Waste Home” and this sounds like a perfectly awesome way to finish off that book. I’m not sure if I can get anyone else excited about it, but I’m pumped!
Beyond these little things, I have a bigger plan for my birthday. What I really want is…
An Excellent Year
At the end of the month, I’ll be 29. While most people would expect 30 to be a big birthday, I’m more excited about 29. I’ve been inspired to make my last year as a 20-something the best I can be. I have a lot of things I want to improve. Nothing too crazy, but enough to be a challenge. Enough to challenge how I think and how I react to things. This is what I want.
I want to listen to my body and consume only the things it wants me to consume.
- Dairy? OUT!
- Processed crap? OUT!
- Mindless eating for the sake of eating? NO MORE!
- Reducing the amount of time I spend obsessing about food? Yes please.
I’ve been doing well with all of this as of late, but I could do better. I need to get better at setting myself up for success. This means better meal planning and grocery shopping.
I want to get in the best shape of my life.
- This is the only body I have and I need to treat it better. Feeding it properly will make a huge difference but so will additional stretching and strengthening. I’m on the right track here; I just need to keep going with purpose.
I want to be more intentional.
- My morning routine sucks. I’m an adult. I need to start acting like one.
- I want to be the best employee I can be.
- I’m good at what I do and I’m being noticed for that. But sometimes I don’t feel like I’m giving it all I can. I’m young. The best time to knock it out of the park is now. Hey batter, batter. It’s time to SWING, batter.
I want to turn off my brain and take better care of my soul.
- I want to shut out the chatter. Why do I keep scrolling through Facebook? Why do I log in everyday right when I get home? Facebook brings very little joy to my life. My mind would feel better if I didn’t absorb so much meaningless crap about people I barely care about.
- I love yoga but I need to do it more often. I love how it centers me and turns off my brain. Right now, I have the opportunity to practice 1x per week. I want to make sure I go every week.
What it all boils down to is that I want 29 to be a year of more mindfulness. I want to be mindful about what I take in from the world (and my plate) and what I leave behind (hopefully an excellent impression 😉 ) . Am I really the person I want to be? What can I do to become the best me? To be the best, I need to focus on what my body needs, my mind needs and what my career needs.